Saturday, March 14, 2009

Visiting the Snowbirds

I recently went on a trip with my mom, Sharon. She and I went down to Yuma, AZ to visit my Aunt Judy, and Uncle Bob for 4 days. We did lots of shopping, playing bingo and just hanging out. First, I looked up Chad's parents, since they are also "snow birds" so we could visit them. Chad's dad, Tom, recently had shoulder surgery. Here are Tom and Linda on their front patio.


We went shopping at a "swap meet"... I loved this place! Lots of great deals and it was just fun walking around looking at everything. One goofy thing we saw, in several of the booths at the swap meet, were these sun visor/hat things, that look like they have hair. They come in all sorts of colors too! Here is mom and Linda trying them on.


There are a couple of casinos in Yuma, and my aunt likes to go play bingo, so we joined her for a couple of sessions. I have never in my life won at bingo, and guess what?! I didn't this time either! OH Well... Mom did win at one of the "practice" rounds, but had to split the whopping $30 pot with another winner.

We also got to spend some time visiting Mexico. We crossed the border into Algodones. It is a small town with lots and lots and LOTS of dentists, drug stores, liquor stores and other more fun things to peruse. I saw these bird baths, and would have loved to bring one home, but they are way to heavy to lug around, so I passed. Maybe next year.


I did find this beautiful plate to hang in my kitchen. I was sooo happy it made it home in one piece traveling in my suitcase.


Here's mom and I waiting for our lunch at an outdoor restaurant in Algodones.


Here's Mom and aunt Judy (they're sisters in case you can't tell) :-) Everyone thinks they look so much a like! They got asked about it several times while we were out and about.


My aunt is very artistic and her most recent projects are making cards. You just take card stock, punch an image with very tiny holes, then sew a pattern in the holes. She taught us how to do this, and the three of us made the ones below. These will eventually be added to some colored card stock and made into actual cards.



To end this fun trip, I arrived home to find out how much I was missed. I love my hubby! He's so good to me! These were waiting for me on the dining room table. :-) ahhhh....

3 comments:

Marla said...

Thinking of Bingo - do you remember when we were in Vegas and Bonnie won at Bingo? Apparently we were the "loud" girls and got a lot of dirty looks...hahaha Good times :)

Pam said...

I do remember that! There are some pretty serious bingo-ers out there - in AZ too!

Diane said...

Looks like a great time with family Pam. I love your plate you found! Hopfully you will be able to get one of the birdbaths next time you are down there.